What is GROWL?

GROWL stands for Gathering for Registration, Orientation, Welcome and Leadership.

During GROWL sessions you will meet with an advisor one-on-one, have your photo taken for your UPIKE ID, talk with a financial services representative and finalize your housing and meal plan. You will also take a bus tour of Pikeville and spend time with other new UPIKE Bears while making friends and having fun!

We encourage your family to attend, as well.


In order to schedule an appointment for GROWL, you must be accepted to the University of Pikeville. The University must have your application, ACT/SAT scores and highschool/GED transcripts on file before you can register for GROWL.

If you are a high school student and have taken college courses while in high school, we must have received these transcripts, as well, in order for your acceptance to be complete.

If you are a transfer student, we must have received transcripts from all prior institutions you have attended.

If you have questions pertaining to your admissions status, please call 606-218-5251 for further information.

Bear Leader
If you are a current student and would like to become a Bear Leader for GROWL, please fill out the Bear Leader Application and turn it into the Admission's office. The deadline for applications is February 24 at 5 p.m.

All Sessions
(8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Session 1 Saturday May 21
Session 2 Saturday June 4
Session 3 Saturday June 25
Session 4 Thursday (Transfer Morning) June 30 (8 a.m. - Noon)
Thursday (Transfer Afternoon) June 30 (1-5 p.m.)
Session 5 Saturday August 6
Session 6 Thursday (Transfer Morning) August 11 (8 a.m. - Noon)
Thursday (Transfer Afternoon) August 11 (1-5 p.m.)
Session 7 Saturday August 13
Open Registration Thursday August 18
Open Registration Friday August 19
Classes Begin Monday August 22

List of Available Majors

Howard Roberts
Dean & Professor, Coleman College of Business
Office: Academy Building 100 D

David Barnett
Dean, Patton College of Education
Office: Armington 442

Brigitte Anderson
Chair, Division of Humanities
Professor of English

Office: Armington 454

Robert Arts
Chair, Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Professor of Education and Physics

Office: Armington 214 B

Mary Simpson
Dean, Elliott School of Nursing
Office: Record Memorial 300

Nancy Cade
Chair, Division of Social Sciences
Davenport Distinguished Professor of History and Political Science
Office: Armington 450

Interdisciplinary Studies

Looking for a Place to Stay While in Town?

Brookshire Inn
123 Alexandra Dr.
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 433-0888

Hampton Inn
831 Hambley Blvd.
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 432-8181

Hilton Garden Inn
849 Hambley Blvd.
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 766-2000
Historic Mansion Bed and Breakfast
179 College Street
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 509-0296

Holiday Inn Express
476 S. Mayo Trail
Pikeville, KY 41502
(606) 433-1800

The Landmark Inn
190 S. Mayo Trail
Pikeville, KY 41502
(606) 432-2545

Residence Life Application Process

1. Download a housing deposit form.
2. Pay $100 housing deposit.
To use a credit/debit card, call the UPIKE Business Office at 606-218-5200
Mail a check or money order payable to the address above.

  • Housing assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Students will receive housing assignments at their GROWL session if housing deposit is paid.
GROWL Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Am I required to attend the full GROWL session?
A: Yes. All new students are required to attend the GROWL session in its entirety. There are activities that will need to be taken care of before you begin classes in the fall (i.e. register for classes, receive your Student ID, etc.)

Q: Should my parents/guardians attend the GROWL session?
A: If you haven’t turned 18 by your GROWL date, you will need to have a parent/guardian attend with you.

Q: Will my parents/guardians be with me during the GROWL program?
A: Your family is welcome to attend GROWL with you.

Q: What should I wear to GROWL?
A: This is a casual program and you will be moving around and taking tours. Dress comfortably! Keep in mind that you will take a photo for your Student ID card.

Q: What are the next steps?
A: Make sure you call the Office of Admissions (606-218-5251) to sign up for your GROWL date. If you intend to live on campus in the fall, please download the housing application form and complete it. You can mail the completed form or turn it in at GROWL.

Q: I am coming from out of town. Where should I stay for the night?
A: You are encouraged to contact local hotels to make arrangements for an overnight stay. For more information refer to the "Lodging" tab above.

What To Bring
For Academic Affairs
• Request your final official high school transcript be mailed to the Office of Admissions after graduation.
• Provide copies of Advanced Placement score(s) for potential course credit.
• Request official college transcripts if you have taken dual credit courses while in high school or college courses for which you will receive transfer credit(s).
For Financial Aid
• Student and Parent FAFSA Pin number (personal ID numbers)
• Driver’s license
• Social Security number or birth certificate
• Any other document requested by the Office of Student Financial Services


Virtual Tour
There has never been a better time to be a UPIKE Bear! APPLY NOW
UPike Tigers